|Gilpin Bank : Grid
ref - SD507975
1935 Haweswater was dammed to create a further supply for Manchester,
the aqueduct fed into the Thirlmere system via the Watchgate W.W.
, joining the Thirlmere Aqueduct at Gilpin Bank
|The grey building
newer grey building was constructed ontop of a Thirlmere well near
Gilpin Bank north of Kendal marking the point where the two aqueducts
joined. It was only after the war that Haweswater got its own 71
mile aqueduct down to Heaton Park, Manchester.
There has been substantial work carried out to the joining pipe
to Gilpin Bank,judging tby the recent earthworks along its course.
Some of the original gates in its path have been uprooted - whether
they will be reinstated is a matter of conjecture as surveys of
the aqueducts are now done by helicopter. SACRILIDGE
|See Also Watch
gate Waterworks Cumbria