To The Logdendale Aqueduct Section - note this
part of site under development
A series of reservoirs constructed
fed an aqueduct system which delivered water to Prestwich reservoir.
It was constructed as a for runner to the Thirlmere Aqueduct.
In 1846 the Manchester Corporation appointed John Frederick Bateman
to advise on improving the town's water supply. His vast plan took
water from the Longdendale Valley in the West Pennines, impounding
water into seven reservoirs along the River Etherow and conveying
water along aqueducts to Manchester and Salford. At the time it
was the biggest water supply project ever undertaken in Europe.
Although the first water was supplied in 1851 work continued for
the next thirty years.
technology - Aeriel photo , thanks to the OS on this one
technology - Enlarged Map Section Of The Longdendale Reservoirs
From : History & Description of the Thirlmere Water Scheme by
J.Harwood circa 1868
To see the whole map and aquedct system click